The Responsibility of the Psychotherapist
My responsibility is to provide a safe, confidential environment for an individual committed to seeking change, and a better understanding of themselves and their relationship with others.
While it is important to explore past patterns, events, or traumas that contribute to present difficulties, it is of equal importance to help the patient develop new and better ways of caring for themselves and connecting to the world around them.
The therapist must enable the patient to be open and frank with them and respond in kind to the patient. The patient is encouraged to be their most authentic self in sessions as it will enable them to proceed with greater authenticity in other relationships where they may have struggled in the past.
PETER C. TURCO, LCSW-R LICENSED PSYCHOTHERAPIST
Dynamic and engaging psychotherapist with 28 years of success providing mental health services to patients in a variety of settings and circumstances.
Expert at guiding clients through transition while simultaneously addressing symptoms and developing effective and lasting means of combating them.
Skilled at identifying life stressors and helping others reconsider themselves, as well as, their behaviors, responses, and ability to engage with others.
Creative, forward-moving, and dedicated. Passionate about helping people.
SERVICES AND EXPERTISE
PSYCHOTHERAPIST, Private Practice - Turco Psychotherapy 12/1991 - PRESENT
- Facilitate one-on-one and group counseling to individuals, couples, families, and groups on a wide variety of topics.
- Assess client needs to create an appropriate treatment plan, providing focus and structure in addressing their problems.
- Enable short and long-term clients to understand their feelings and what makes them feel positive, anxious, or depressed.
- Update, analyze, and maintain client records to track progress and ensure successful treatment.
- Act as a private supervisor, providing supervision and business development skills to private practitioners.
CONTRACTED MENTAL HEALTH VENDOR, U.S. Federal Courts, Southern District of New York 10/2012 - PRESENT
- Work in conjunction with officers and provide consultations to senior officers and judges to fulfill contract obligations.
- Provide court-ordered evaluations and treatment to individuals with a variety of needs and disorders.
- Perform mental health assessments to create a judicially supervised treatment plan in conjunction with court staff.
- Address the root cause of the behavior that brought someone before the court and work to improve outcomes for all parties.
CLINICAL DIRECTOR, The Saint Mark’s Place Institute 03/1996 - 06/2012
- Recruited, trained, reviewed performance, managed, disciplined, and dismissed professional staff, as required.
- Supervised clinical staff, coordinators, and psychotherapists in the delivery of services and development of new programs.
- Directed the U.S. Probation and Pretrial Program and maintained a working liaison with senior officers and staff.
- Implemented outreach services to companies, EAPs, and other organizations to continuously expand the referral base.
- Negotiated service contracts with insurance companies, businesses, and unions, and provided in-service training.
- Ensured adherence to OMH regulations and practices, as well as, oversaw financial and budgetary compliance.
- Managed 9/11 programs in conjunction with the NYC Department of Health, Rockefeller Philanthropies, and The American Red Cross.
- Developed and maintained ongoing training programs and staff development seminar schedules.
- Reviewed new patients for admission approval, assigned to treating therapist, and oversaw discharge activities.
EARLY CAREER HISTORY
Director of Adult Services: The Saint Mark’s Place Institute, 03/1990 - 03/1996
Pediatric Social Work Coordinator: New York Hospital | Cornell Medical Center, 02/1988 - 03/1990
Placement Specialist: The Jewish Guild for the Blind, 04/1984 - 02/1988
Supported Work Counselor: The Vera Institute of Justice, 05/1982 - 04/1984
EDUCATION AND CREDENTIALS
Post-Master’s Certificate, Advanced Psychotherapy: Hunter College School of Social Work
Master of Social Work: Columbia University School of Social Work
Bachelor of Science, Psychology and Sociology: The State University of New York at New Paltz
Licensed Clinical Social Worker: State of NY License # R029228-1, National ID # 1710092705, CAQH Provider ID #11960542
Certification, Anger Management Specialist: National Anger Management Association
Certification, Sex Recovery Therapist: American Association for Sex Addiction
Certification, Addiction Specialist: American Academy of Health Care Providers
Certification, Clinical Trauma Professional: International Association of Trauma Professionals